Paul Pollaro (1921-2017) was born in New York City where he was a student at The Art Students League from 1945–1948, then at Pratt Graphic Center in 1972. As an instructor, he worked at The New School, and as an assistant professor and chairman of the art department at Wagner College. Pollaro received grants from Tiffany Foundation, Wagner College, and New Hampshire State Council of the Arts. After five residencies at MacDowell, he became the associate director from 1973–1977. His work has been exhibited across the United States in many well-known galleries.
Paul Pollaro worked in the Putnam studio.
The Graphics Studio, converted to its present use in 1972–1974 through a grant from the Putnam Foundation, originally served the property as both a power house and pump house. Well water was pumped from a large cistern to Hillcrest, the Foreman’s Cottage, and the lower buildings closer to Union Street. Inside the building, an engine powered…