Given to the MacDowell Association by Margaret Adams of Chicago, the half-timbered, stuccoed Adams Studio was designed by MacDowell Fellow and architect F. Tolles Chamberlin ca. 1914. Chamberlin was primarily a painter, but also provided designs for the Lodge and an early renovation of the main hall.
The studio’s structural integrity was restored during a thorough renovation in 1993 and the interior was refreshed to provide a clean environment for visual and other artists. Above the studio entrance, a half-timbered upper façade is ornamented with a floral design originally executed by Chamberlin and carefully restored by Byron Bell and associates from Saint-Gaudens Memorial. From the loft bedroom above the studio, a narrow view creates a sight line to Mount Monadnock in the west.
Spacious and indirectly lit with efficient LED fixtures, Adams studio continues to provide ideal working conditions for visual artists as well as filmmakers, writers, architects, and inter-disciplinary artists.