We apply the same egalitarian standards for all those who serve MacDowell in a staff, volunteer, or representative capacity.
MacDowell seeks a cook to join a small kitchen team preparing and serving nourishing meals for 24-32 artists in residence at our Peterborough campus. This position will serve primarily breakfast and lunch three times a week.
MacDowell is committed to diversity and inclusion, and a more equitable arts and cultural sector. Our work requires a team that together represents a diversity of perspectives and lived experiences. Black, Indigenous, people of color (BIPOC) and individuals from populations underrepresented in the arts and nonprofits are strongly encouraged to apply.
Prepare healthy, seasonal, and high-quality meals for up to 32 artists at a time:
- Is resourceful, creative, mindful of food waste, and flexible
- Adheres to artist dietary restrictions and provides satisfying alternatives
- Has excellent sanitation standards
- Helps keep the kitchen organized to improves efficiency and safety for everyone
- Desire and ability to work harmoniously with a team of professionals dedicated to sustaining ideal working conditions for creative artists
- Interpersonal skills: is able to communicate clearly and respectfully with other kitchen staff, administrative staff, artists, and guests
- Hospitality skills: is able to support artists in residence by being responsive, friendly, and helpful
- Flexibility to cover co-worker kitchen shifts as needed
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to routinely transport materials weighing 20 lbs and occasionally 50 lbs
- 1+ years of professional cooking experience in a commercial kitchen
- Appreciation for the arts and the value of culture in improving human lives
The cook is a part-time, non-exempt, position with a base schedule of 24 hours a week. The primary responsibility will be to prepare breakfast and lunch on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Other responsibilities may include occasional evening and holiday work for special events and co-worker shift coverage. Compensation commensurate with experience ($18-20/hour) with employer contributions to 403(b) retirement and paid time off.
Email cover letter and resume or work history to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The MacDowell residency program with offices in Chelsea, NYC and Peterborough, NH is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, ability, age, or veteran status. We are committed to workplace inclusion and to being a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to do their best work and bring out the best in each other.