We apply the same egalitarian standards for all those who serve MacDowell in a staff, volunteer, or representative capacity.
Organic Gardener sought to maintain and enhance landscaped areas at the heart of MacDowell’s 450-acre campus in Peterborough, NH. Reporting to the Resident Director, the Gardener is responsible for maintaining ~four acres of garden, orchard, and plantings near the Main Hall and the James Baldwin Library. The Gardener is a hands on leader of a small team tending MacDowell’s cultivated landscape, including supervision of two gardening assistants. The Gardener manages kitchen garden production and coordinates summertime care for laying hens in cooperation with the Chef & kitchen team. With garden work following the contours of northern New England’s growing season, this is a part-time position with work hours more heavily concentrated May through August and lighter duty in spring and fall.
More than 100 years ago, MacDowell pioneered the field of artist residency programs and today awards ~300 Fellowships annually to artists in seven creative disciplines (writers, composers, visual artists, playwrights, architects, filmmakers, and interdisciplinary artists). As of 2020, the organization has supported more than 8,500 artists including those who are just starting out and others who are at the apex of their careers. Fellowships lasting up to 8 weeks are given with no strings attached—artists arriving with their own projects are provided one of 32 studios on the 450 acre campus. The plantings under the Gardener’s care inspire the artists through aesthetic enjoyment and close connection with the natural environment. Produce harvested from the kitchen garden further strengthens artists’ sense of wholeness and well-being.
- Maintain MacDowell’s organic gardens and planted areas sustaining a naturalized aesthetic: weeding, planting, watering, pruning, feeding, and other tasks too numerous to list individually (Hire, train, and supervise seasonal garden assistants)
- Manage edible garden production: planning, sourcing, planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting of vegetable garden, small orchard, berry patch, and herb garden (Collaborate with kitchen staff on planning and harvesting edible plantings)
- In cooperation with the Resident Director, design landscape improvements, prepare drawings, and develop cost estimates as part of annual capital improvements budget
- Implement landscape improvement projects approved by the Resident Director; coordinate efforts with the in-house Maintenance team and, when appropriate, sub-contractors
- In cooperation with the Chef and Maintenance staff, manage and maintain compost/soil amendment system
- Participate in regular staff meetings, ad hoc training session, and special events
- Desire and ability to work harmoniously with a team of professionals dedicated to sustaining ideal working conditions for creative artists
- Thorough knowledge of best practices in organic cultivation of ornamental and edible landscapes
- Associates degree in sustainable horticulture or equivalent experience in organic landscape maintenance
- Ability to routinely transport plant and garden materials weighing 40 lbs and occasionally 60 lbs
- Ability to repeatedly reposition self and shift stance to perform essential gardening tasks such as weeding, planting, pruning, etc.
- Valid driver’s license; tractor driving experience a plus
- Animal husbandry and landscape design capabilities a plus
- Appreciation for the arts and the value of culture in improving the lived human experience
Compensation for this part-time position is commensurate with experience; wage range $22-28/hour.
Email cover letter and resume or work history by February 15, 2021. No calls please.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The MacDowell residency program with offices in Chelsea and Peterborough is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, ability, age, or veteran status. We are committed to workplace inclusion and to being a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to do their best work and bring out the best in each other.