Discipline: Architecture – design

Bryony Roberts

Discipline: Architecture – design
Region: Princeton, NJ
MacDowell fellowships: 2018

Bryony Roberts is an architectural designer and scholar. Her practice, Bryony Roberts Studio, integrates strategies from architecture, art, and preservation to respond to complex urban spaces and social histories. She has created projects for international architectural sites including the Piazza del Campidoglio in Rome, the Federal Plaza in Chicago, and the Neutra VDL House in Los Angeles. Her practice has been supported by the Graham Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the American Academy in Rome, where she was awarded the Rome Prize from 2015-2016. Her work has been featured in the Chicago Architecture Biennial of 2015 and Performa 17, along with exhibitions in Rome, New York, Houston, Boston, and Los Angeles. She has published her research in the Harvard Design Magazine, Log, Future Anterior, and Architectural Record, co-edited the volume Log 31: New Ancients, and recently edited a book titled Tabula Plena: Forms of Urban Preservation published by Lars Müller Publishers. Having earned her B.A. from Yale University and her M.Arch. from the Princeton School of Architecture, Roberts teaches architecture at Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation in New York and the Oslo School of Architecture in Norway. In residence, she developed an exhibition for the Texas State Galleries in San Marcos, TX. The project, which combines social practice, installation, and oral history, addresses the lives of women ranchers in Texas. Roberts has received a Rome Prize from the American Academy in Rome 2015-2016, the Architectural League Prize 2018, and the Irwin and Xenia Miller Prize 2018.

Studios

Sorosis

Bryony Roberts worked in the Sorosis studio.

Sorosis Studio was funded by the New York Carol Club of Sorosis. The small, masonry studio was designed by F. Winsor, Jr., the architect who also designed Savidge Library (1926) and Mixter Studio (1927). At the time of construction, the large porch on the southeast facade offered a spectacular mountain view that has since been obscured…

Learn more