Discipline: Visual Art

D. Putnam Brinley

Discipline: Visual Art
MacDowell fellowships: 1921
Daniel Putnam Brinley (1879–1963) was an American muralist and painter who studied at the Art Students League of New York from 1900 to 1902. While there, he studied with Bryson Burroughs, Benjamin West Clinedinst, and Henry Siddons Mowbray, and was most influenced by Kenyon Cox and John Henry Twachtman. In 1904, Brinley married his childhood friend, Kathrine Gordon Sanger, who would later achieve fame in her own right as an author of travel books. The couple spent nearly two years in Paris, where Daniel was influential in organizing the New Society of American Painters. Brinley had previously been an impressionist landscape painter under Twachtman's influence, but he studied art independently while abroad and began to gravitate toward the Modernist school. In 1908, the Brinleys returned to the U.S., and Daniel established a studio in New York City. Brinley had his first one-man show at Madison Avenue Galleries in 1910, exhibited at Alfred Stieglitz's gallery, and helped organize the 1913 Armory Show. He was also a founding member of the Association of American Painters and Sculptors and the Grand Central Art Galleries. Brinley was a charter member of the Silvermine Guild of Artists in 1922. During the 1930s Brinley earned considerable fame and profit from his murals. At the time of Brinley's death, many obituaries noted the decorative maps that he created for Liberty Memorial, in Kansas City, MO. These maps, painted in 1926, continue to be a permanent exhibit in Memory Hall of the National World War I Museum, which is now part of the Memorial site. Brinley also created a mural for the Brooklyn Savings Bank, for which he was awarded the Gold Medal of Honor of the Architectural League of New York. Finally, he created the Great Terrestrial Globe that sat in the lobby of the Daily News Building in New York City.

Studios

Adams

D. Putnam Brinley worked in the Adams studio.

Given to the MacDowell Association by Margaret Adams of Chicago, the half-timbered, stuccoed Adams Studio was designed by MacDowell Fellow and architect F. Tolles Chamberlin ca. 1914. Chamberlin was primarily a painter, but also provided designs for the Lodge and an early renovation of the main hall. The studio’s structural integrity was restored during a thorough renovation in…

Learn more