Marian Nevins MacDowell funded construction of this studio the year that the organization was established and the first artists arrived for residency. It was called Bark Studio until 1933, when it was renamed in honor of Ernest Schelling, a composer, pianist, and orchestral leader who served as president of what was then called the Edward MacDowell Association (1928–1933).
The building’s extraordinary siding consists of large, overlapping pieces of hemlock bark — a surprisingly attractive and low-maintenance building material. The interior of Schelling Studio is simply designed with pine-paneled walls, a pine floor and ceiling, and a brick fireplace with wooden mantel, which is located on the north wall.
Renovated in 2006 according to a design by O’Neil-Pennoyer architects, Schelling Studio is well prepared for another 100 years of service to the arts.