Alexander Studio

Completed in 1922

Originally designed to be a visual art gallery, this facility was built in memory of the late John White Alexander (1856-1915) and funded by Elizabeth Alexander and their son James. John White Alexander was highly regarded as a portrait painter and, in the early part of the 20th century, served on the MacDowell Association board.

The design for Alexander Studio, by Arden Studios of New York, was inspired by the Chapel of St. Joseph in Saas-Fee, Switzerland. (Late in the 1800s the MacDowells and Alexanders visited the chapel when traveling in Europe together.)

The interior is lit from the north by a pair of full-height windows. It is large and open, with a flagstone floor and a high ceiling. The room is distinguished on the west end by a large stone arch that separates the main studio area from an angled alcove and stone fireplace. It took six years to build as work on the stone walls progressed slowly. A 1993 renovation was funded by Ruth and James Ewing, in loving memory of Blanche Dombek who worked in the studio. A renovation is on tap that will benefit from a Frankenthaler Climate Initiative grant to be used for three MacDowell studios.

Some well-known works created here:

  • The Fisherman’s Bible by Jeremy Fisher