Cheney Studio was given to MacDowell by Mrs. Benjamin P. Cheney and Mrs. Karl Kauffman. Like Barnard Studio, Cheney is a low, broadly massed bungalow. Sited on a steep westward slope, its porches are supported on wooden posts and fieldstone with lattices.
Although it still retains its appealing character, the original design of the shingled building has been renovated twice, first in 1955 and again in 1994. A section of the original porch was converted to interior space and now serves as a bathroom.
Inside, the studio has been treated with typical simplicity, finished with wood floors and plain pine paneling. Particularly notable is the unusual brick fireplace, designed with a corbelled mantel and an angled chimney stack set into the northwest corner of the room.