Garland Studio

Completed in 1926

Marian MacDowell and friends originally named this studio in memory of Anna Baetz, the nurse who helped care for Edward MacDowell in the waning years of his life.

With generous support from the Garland family, the studio was renovated in 2013 and renamed the Peter and Mary Garland Studio. The inward opening, diamond-pane windows were replaced in kind with modern units to maintain the studio’s historic appearance while greatly increasing interior comfort. A low interior ceiling was removed to reveal the studio’s full height and a screened porch was added at the southwest corner, making Garland Studio an ideal place to work and dream.

The renovation, design by Sheldon Pennoyer Architects, shows sensitivity to the building’s history and imaginative use of interior space. To honor the initial generosity that brought the studio into being, the Baetz plaque remains over the fireplace.