MacDowell Studios: Mansfield Studio

Completed in 1922

The Helen Coolidge Mansfield Studio was donated by graduates of the Mansfield War Service Classes for Reconstruction Aides. Helen Mansfield helped found the New York MacDowell Club.

The small, shingled frame structure with stone foundation was originally fronted on the west side by a neat white picket fence and gate, a garden, and a stone pathway. What was once an arched rose trellis now serves to keep the weather away from the entry door. A second entrance to the studio is located on the east side, where a screened porch with a latticework base faces Pack Monadnock.

Writers have consistently praised Mansfield Studio for providing everything that is needed and nothing extraneous to the creative process. It is an excellent example of simple materials assembled by craftsmen for a clear purpose.